Golf inspired horse names
Photo courtesy of the @TigerWoods
The 146th Open has got well under way with the first day done and dusted, the Open is in many ways similar to Royal Ascot, a festival of sport enjoyed by millions over a few days.
Horse racing has 1,000s of racehorses competing all around the country every year and a few of the owners are quite clearly golf fans with the list of names below.
There’s mutual love between golf and horse racing which you can see from golfers who love racing.
10 golf inspired horse names
- Tiger Woods – Born in 2008. A Brazilian horse that won his first race but none of the following six, quite the opposite from his human counterpart who has 14 majors to his name.
- Golf Ball – Born in 1990. Only won one race in his career, a one hit wonder!
- Putting Green – Born in 2012. Trained by Venetia Williams, two wins and six places on the flat and over jumps.
- Hole In One – 2006. Never won a race, a few second and third places but never the hole in one. He was trained by Lucinda Russell who also trained the 2017 Grand National winner One For Arthur, and both are owned by the ‘Two Golf Widows’.
- Nicklaus – 2015. Trained by William Haggas, one run so far and did not win. Named after perhaps the greatest ever golfer Jack Nicklaus, an 18-time major winner.
- In The Rough – 2009. Trained by Jonjo O’Neill, owned by John P McManus, 12 wins from 42 starts, not so bad as the name suggests!
- Birdie – 1999. Trained by Michael Bell, owned by Lady Carolyn Warren, a pretty successful brood mare.
- Just A Par – 2007. Seven wins over the Jumps and ran in the 2016 Grand National with a par performance of 15th at a 40/1 chance.
- Tee Off – 2004. Owned by the Ryder Cup Racing Syndicate but with no wins he has really teed off them off!
- On The Fairway – 1999. Two victories on the flat out of 25. Perhaps he would have better suited to the name of Jonjo O’Neill’s horse In The Rough!
And an added bonus of the 2017 Derby winner Wings Of Eagles